Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Evidence based medicine ( try not yawn)

This whole week we have been through practical/statistical way to appraise any given research paper. Say, your patient came asking about the risk of drinking coffee and developing high blood pressure or wearing white clothes and getting hit by a lightening or even using aspirin to reduce heart attack risks. It turn out you don't accept any research paper. Even if it was a review comparing many published papers and drawing conclusion from them (meta analysis). You first appraise that paper, to check its quality and validity and obviously applicability to your particular patient. There are many formulas and such. My point: Evidence based medicine is intended to tailor each patient clinical encounter.
If you still awake, I felt a shamed that after all these year in college I still have no published research. I don't know if that even matters to me. But I feel sad and old. And like a spoiled babe, I need a research right now. But I am not good in working with ..um doctors!
End of year exam is nearby, maybe I want an excuse to not study, Hey, and so is my elective. Hooray!
Oh and I can use some friends, with chocolate and aerobic exercise. Yah, didn't make sense to me either. I need to sleep. But first aerobics, appraise a study with a colleague for tomorrow's presentation and then ... study some more! College life rocks!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment