Sunday, August 25, 2013

Big wards!

Hi,
I hope everyone is doing great. I am enjoying life at the moment. In fact, I have been socializing a lot for someone whose end of year exam is in less than 3 months. I started orthopedics ( bones and muscles rotation) in the biggest ortho center in my country. Saw a variety of cases. I attended pediatrics ortho clinic. There were many cerebral palsy cases. Cerebral palsy has a wide spectrum of causes (one is severe jaundiced in infants causing Kernicterus) with different presentations. It becomes apparent in the first 2 years of life. Patients need decent physiotherapy, usually until they are 16 years old. Tenotomy(releasing the tendon from its bony attachment) is necessary.
I also saw a case with operated meningocele and few developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) which I have been told is very common here. DDH is "an abnormal formation of the hip joint in which the ball on top of the thighbone (femur) is not held firmly in the socket. In some instances, the ligaments of the hip joint may be loose and stretched". It is important to detect it early as the prognosis is age dependant. Too bad (and scary), I couldn't appreciate the click generated by relocating the femur head while doing ortolani test. I can only hope to be able to do so by the end of this rotation!
 
I have been told the staff here is very keen to teach especially if they saw any sign of enthusiasms. I need to revise the ortho examinations ( which have funny big names, hence the title of this entry) and deformities names to not shy away and appear uninterested.!
Bed time already. It happens to be the time I feel sorry /anxious for not finishing/starting revising dermatology and family medicine notes! I have not even prepare for the new rotation. O and I am with one of the sharpest/nerdest medical students group…hallelujah!
P.S. I noticed I need respectable proof reading. My apology to any possible readerL

No comments:

Post a Comment