Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ophthalmology


Hi,
The last 2 weeks went pretty fast, including the Eid holiday. I haven't done much studying during the break. Today I spent some time doing old exams questions. It turned out I need to  re consolidate what I read.  I am planning to read Toronto notes as everyone  is recommending them. Alternatively I'll reread boards and wards in the weekend!

In the clinic, I saw plenty of keratoconus. A condition in which the cornea thins out and replaces its nice curve with a cone shape. Sometimes it is severe enough to be seen by naked eye. The lower lid also form a V shape while looking down (munson sign).  In slit lamp the cornea shows vogt's striae which are stress lines from stretching the thin cornea . Occasionally the cornea  stain olive (feischer ring).  Patients suffer from blurred vision, photosensitivity and poor night vision. It can be treated by  hard lens to correct the refractive errors, corneal collagen cross linking or corneal transplant if very severe.  

 I also saw a case of ruptured globe. The poor guy was working when a nail fly into his eye completely lacerating his cornea. He has a real big hyphema  and his pupil was nowhere to be seen. He was in so much pain. Hopefully they will be able to safe his vision.  

I hate the fact I didn't see the commonest conditions one is expected to encounter  in a primary care sitting.  Cases like red eye,  chemical burns ( you need to immediately ( within seconds if possible ) wash with water- and keep doing so for about 20 minutes - even if the water was not clean. Chemicals damage the cornea for good and if alkali it'll penetrate deep) foreign body or lid laceration. But textbook pictures are there for a reason.

Eww I need to get up really early tomorrow, a new hospital (but still opthalmo).

Have fun everyoneJ

 

No comments:

Post a Comment